Skip to main content

Remarks of Senator Barack Obama: A More Perfect Union Tuesday , March 18, 2008

“On one end of the spectrum, weve heard the implication that my candidacy is somehow an exercise in affirmative action; that its based solely on the desire of wide-eyed liberals to purchase racial reconciliation on the cheap. On the other end, weve heard my former pastor, Reverend Jeremiah Wright, use incendiary language to express views that have the potential not only to widen the racial divide, but views that denigrate both the greatness and the goodness of our nation; that rightly offend white and black alike.
I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely - just as Im sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.”

Now after everyone has either read or heard this speech, this writer has drawn a conclusion.
On March 18, 2008 Mr. Obama said the following to Major Garrett on FNC:
Garrett: I want to ask you a set of basic, sort of threshold questions about your faith experience at Trinity United Church of Christ because I think they will help Americans understand the story. So, the first question: How long have you been a member in good standing of that church?

Obama: You know, I've been a member since 1991 or '92, and... but I'd known Trinity even before then when I was a community organizer on the south side helping steelworkers find jobs, and we were organizing with churches and trying to recruit folks to get involved in that process. Trinity was one of the churches that we tried to get involved in some of these community projects.

Garrett: As a member in good standing, were you a regular attendee of Sunday services?

Obama: I won't say that I was a perfect attendee. I was regular in spurts because there were times where... For example, our child had just been born, our first child, and so we didn't go as regularly then.

Garrett: When you attended, sir, when you attended did you donate frequently?

Obama: Yes.

Garrett: OK. Were you and Michelle married there and did Rev. Wright preside?

Obama: Yes.

Garrett: Were your two daughters baptized there and did Rev. Wright preside over the baptisms?

Obama: That is correct, Major.

Garrett establishes that Obama has a long, close connection with Wright and his church.

Wright and that church is an integral part of the lives of Obama and his family.

Obama gave money to support Wright and Trinity United Church of Christ.
Garrett: Very good. I wanted to talk to you about your statement released this afternoon because earlier today when I contacted your campaign and I asked them if there was any way the campaign felt the need to add further context, add further distance between yourself and the statements of Rev. Wright, the one word answer I received was 'No.'

Then late this afternoon, you have a statement that says, 'I vehemently disagree,' 'strongly condemn.' I'm trying to understand the evolution between this morning and this afternoon. I'd like to know specifically, Senator, what you vehemently disagree with and what you strongly condemn.

Obama: Well, Major, I gotta confess that as you know I was voting in the Senate all day yesterday, so I wasn't following this story as carefully as I could have been and then I flew back to Chicago. When I saw these statments, many of which I had heard for the first time, then I thought it was important to make a very clear and unequivocal statement.

None of these statements were ones that I had heard myself personally in the pews. One of them I had heard about after I had started running for president and I put out a statement at that time condemning them.

The other statements were ones that I just heard about while we were... when they started being run on FOX and some of the other stations. And so they weren't things that I was familiar with. Once I saw them I had to be very clear about the fact that these are not statements that I am comfortable with. I reject them completely. They are not ones that reflect my values or my ideals, or Michelle's; and that had I heard them, had I been sitting in the church at the time that they were spoken, I would have been absolutely clear to Rev. Wright that I didn't find those acceptable.

The excuses are priceless.

Obama saying that he was voting all day on Thursday so he didn't know about this is an absolute joke.

It's impossible to believe that he didn't know there was a controversy. It's inconceivable.

It is conceivable that Obama is lying and doing a bad job of it.

I think it's interesting that Obama says Wright's statements don't reflect his values and they don't reflect Michelle's values. Obama went out of his way to do damage control for Michelle. That was no accident.

Wright and Michelle sound like they're on the exact same page, divisive and angry and down on America.
Garrett: Sir, would you have quit the church had you heard them personally?

Obama: You know, I guess, keep in mind that just to provide more context, this is somebody who I'd known for 20 years. Pastor Wright had been a pastor for 30 years. He's an ex-Marine. He is somebody who is a Biblical scholar, has spoken at theological seminaries all across the country from the University of Chicago to Hampton. And so he is a well-regarded preacher, and somebody who is known for talking about the social gospel.

But most of the time when I'm in church, he's talking about Jesus, God, faith, values, caring for the poor, family. Those were the messages that I was hearing. And so, you know, I think that the statements that have been strung together are compiled out of hundreds of sermons that he delivered over the course his lifetime. But, obviously, they are ones that are, from my perspective, completely unacceptable and inexcusable.

And if I had thought that was the tenor or tone on an ongoing basis of his sermons, then yes, I don't think that it would've been reflective of my values or my faith experience.

Obama says, "Most of the time when I'm in church, he's talking about Jesus, God, faith...."

"Most of the time"? What about the rest of the time? What has Obama heard Wright say?

Obama points out that Wright is an ex-Marine. How lame!

That doesn't matter. Wright spews hate. He's divisive and racist and says outrageous things about America.

Who cares that he's an ex-Marine? That doesn't give him a pass to preach such ugliness. Given Wright's remarks, it's hard to imagine that he was a Marine and served our country.

Obama notes that Wright is a Biblical scholar. Really? He must be a bad one. The things Wright says don't sound very Christian. He sounds like he's trying to incite a riot.

On what planet is the hateful Wright a "well-regarded preacher"?

He talks about Jesus and the poor. Fine. He also talks about God "damning" America.
Garrett: So quick yes or no, if you had heard them in person you would have quit.

Obama: If I had heard them repeated, I would've quit. I mean obviously, understand that, understand that, this is somebody who is like an uncle, if you have..., to me. He's somebody who helped me find Christ. And somebody who always talked to me in very powerful ways about relationship to God and our obligations to the poor. If somebody makes a mistake, then obviously, you recognize I make mistakes. We all make mistakes. If I thought that that was the repeated tenor of the church then I wouldn't feel comfortable there, but frankly that has not been my experience at Trinity United Church of Christ.

The old uncle stuff again -- good grief.

We know the tenor of the Trinity United Church of Christ.

We also know that Obama has felt comfortable there for 20 years.
Garrett: In the time we have remaining, you said that in your statement today, 'When I first heard these I was beginning my campaign,' yet you did not begin your campaign on December 4, 2007, when in a press release your campaign announced that Rev. Wright was a part of a, quote unquote, African-American religious leadership committee. I'd like you to try to help me understand the inconsistency there, because obviously if you knew about them at the beginning of your campaign and you put him on this committee later you would have been aware.

Obama: No, no. Wait, wait, Major. I didn't know about all these statements. I knew about one or two statements that had been made and as a consequence, as I said, if it was just a function of one or two statements, then that's not something that would lead me to distance myself from either my church or my pastor. And if I was gonna have a committee talking about faith issues, which we've been very active in doing all across the country, reaching out to evangelicals and talking to the church communities all across the country, it would not make sense if my own pastor wasn't on that committee.
-------- Now I will keep to this statement:
“None of these statements were ones that I had heard myself personally in the pews. One of them I had heard about after I had started running for president and I put out a statement at that time condemning them.” Says Obama
This writer’s conclusion is that Obama is a liar throughout his statement.
And that we should only vote for him because he is black. Thereby stopping or putting to an end the racism he sees in America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to bin YOUR bra? Kelly Brook and Kim Kardashian spark trend for bralessness amid reports it could be better for breasts